Commissioner Hugh Weathers and SFN’s Mike Davis were both on hand for the Advocates of the Year reception in West Columbia last Thursday.
- South Carolina Advocates for Agriculture named two Advocates of the Year for 2023 in honor of their service to the state’s agriculture industry.
- Founded in 2005, the nonprofit South Carolina Advocates for Agriculture helps promote the state’s agricultural products and overall agriculture industry.
- S.C. Senate President Thomas Alexander, a native South Carolinian and Oconee County businessman, has been committed to agriculture throughout his 29 years in the Senate. He supports South Carolina farmers, agribusinesses and rural communities in his work at the State House.
- Danny Mixon, founded Mixon Seed 50 years ago, in 1973, and remains part of its leadership team. He has been instrumental in developing the state’s seed industry. We talked about Mixon Seed recently on this program; it’s expanding and is a model SC agribusiness.
- The 15th Advocates of the Year Recognition Reception was held Thursday, Aug. 17, at the Phillips Market Center at the South Carolina State Farmers Market in West Columbia.