The first wave of disaster relief checks has been mailed to North Carolina farmers who applied for assistance through the 2024 Agriculture Disaster Crop Loss Program, Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler announced on Wednesday.
According to the press release, farmers in Western North Carolina were the first to receive payments, with additional checks to be distributed statewide in the coming weeks.
The relief funds are part of a $478 million disaster recovery package approved by the N.C. General Assembly earlier this year to aid farmers reeling from nearly $5 billion in agricultural losses in 2024. Losses were attributed to a series of severe weather events, including Hurricane Helene, a statewide drought, Tropical Storm Debby, and Potential Cyclone 8.
An additional $25 million was allocated specifically for infrastructure losses through a separate bill. A separate application process for that funding is forthcoming, with more details to be announced by the N.C. Department of Agriculture.
“Getting disaster relief out to our devastated ag community has been a priority for the department, and I appreciate farmers’ patience as we have worked through the process,” said Commissioner Troxler. “We received over 8,500 applications, and verifying damage and processing claims has been a major undertaking.”
Troxler expressed his gratitude to the General Assembly for acting swiftly to approve the disaster assistance package. “This was the worst agricultural disaster in our state’s history,” he said. “I thank lawmakers for recognizing the urgency and standing behind our farming communities during this critical time.”
Disaster relief checks are being distributed based on the type of crop or farming operation affected. In some cases, farmers may receive multiple checks if their losses fall into different categories or span multiple counties. Payments are being calculated using a variety of factors, including:
- County of farm location
- County average yield
- State average price
- County loss percentage
- Reported acreage
- Known federal payments received in 2024
The payment categories include:
- Aquaculture
- Program crops (such as corn, soybeans, etc.)
- Specialty crops
- Nurseries (including fruit trees, Christmas trees, and turf)
- Infrastructure (payments pending)
Nursery crop payments will be split into two installments, with a partial payment included in the initial checks. Troxler advised farmers to refer to their check stubs for information on which category each payment covers.
Farmers with questions about their payments or application status can contact the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services at 866-747-9823 or by email at [email protected]. Additional resources and Frequently Asked Questions are available under the Ag Disaster Crop Loss Program section on the department’s website: www.ncagr.gov.
As the state continues to recover from a historically damaging year, Troxler emphasized that supporting farmers remains a top priority. “Our farmers feed and fuel this state. Helping them recover helps all of North Carolina,” he said.