YOUR TRUSTED AGRICULTURE SOURCE IN THE CAROLINAS SINCE 1974

Trump proposed getting rid of FEMA, but his review council seems focused on reforming the agency

Trump proposed getting rid of FEMA, but his review council seems focused on reforming the agency

Aug 28, 2025 | 9:56pm
President Donald Trump has floated the idea of “getting rid of” the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which manages federal disaster response. But at a Thursday meeting, the 12-person review council he appointed to propose changes to FEMA seemed more focused on reforms than total dismantlement. The meeting in Oklahoma City offered hints of what types of reforms the council might present to Trump in its final report. Members mainly focused on conventional and oft-cited opportunities for change, such as getting money faster to states and survivors and enhancing the capacity of local emergency managers.
Some FEMA staff are put on leave after signing dissent letter

Some FEMA staff are put on leave after signing dissent letter

Aug 27, 2025 | 11:50am
Some employees of the Federal Emergency Management Agency who signed a public letter of dissent earlier this week were put on administrative leave Tuesday evening. That’s according to documents reviewed by The Associated Press. More than 180 current and former FEMA employees signed the letter sent to the FEMA Review Council and Congress on Monday critiquing recent cuts to agency staff and programs, and warning that FEMA’s capacity to respond to a major disaster was dangerously diminished. The AP has confirmed that at least two of the signatories received notices Tuesday evening informing them they would be placed on leave indefinitely. FEMA did not immediately respond to questions on how many staff were put on leave.
Federal officials to take over inspections when troubled Boar’s Head plant reopens

Federal officials to take over inspections when troubled Boar’s Head plant reopens

Aug 24, 2025 | 7:28am
Federal inspectors will assume direct oversight of a Boar’s Head deli meat plant when it reopens after an deadly listeria outbreak. The plant in Jarratt, Virginia, is set to reopen in the coming months. It will face at least 90 days of heightened monitoring and testing. That work will be overseen by federal Food Safety and Inspection Service officials, rather than state inspectors who operated previously on behalf of the agency. The change underscores the severity of problems at the troubled plant. Boar’s Head officials say they are cooperating with state and federal agencies.
Appeals court keeps order blocking Trump administration from indiscriminate immigration sweeps

Appeals court keeps order blocking Trump administration from indiscriminate immigration sweeps

Aug 2, 2025 | 9:36pm
By JAIMIE DING Associated Press LOS ANGELES (AP) — A federal appeals court ruled Friday night to uphold a lower court’s temporary order blocking the Trump administration from conducting indiscriminate immigration stops and arrests in Southern California. A three-judge panel of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals held a hearing Monday afternoon at which […]
Trump announces 90-day negotiating period with Mexico as 25% tariff rates stay in place

Trump announces 90-day negotiating period with Mexico as 25% tariff rates stay in place

Jul 31, 2025 | 12:12pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump says there will be a 90-day negotiating period with Mexico over trade as 25% tariffs stay in place. Trump posted online Thursday a phone conversation with Claudia Sheinbaum was “very successful in that, more and more,” they’re “getting to know and understand each other.” Trump says goods from Mexico imported into the U.S. will continue to face a 25% tariff he has ostensibly linked to fentanyl trafficking. The Republican president says autos face a 25% tariff, while copper, aluminum and steel are taxed at 50%. Trump had threatened tariffs of 30% on goods from Mexico, something Sheinbaum says Mexico gets to stave off for the next three months.
Trump’s USDA to scatter half its Washington staff to field offices. Critics see a ploy to cut jobs

Trump’s USDA to scatter half its Washington staff to field offices. Critics see a ploy to cut jobs

Jul 24, 2025 | 4:15pm
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — The U.S. Department of Agriculture plans to move thousands of employees out of Washington, D.C., aiming to save money and bring them closer to farmers and ranchers. Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins announced Thursday that around 2,600 workers will relocate to five hubs from North Carolina to Utah. The plan is part of President Donald Trump’s effort to make the federal government more efficient. Critics worry about losing connections to Congress and potential disruptions. The union representing federal workers criticized the move as a ploy to cut jobs. The union also pointed out that some 95% of the department’s employees already work outside Washington.
20 states sue FEMA for canceling grant program that guards against natural disasters

20 states sue FEMA for canceling grant program that guards against natural disasters

Jul 16, 2025 | 10:10pm
Twenty Democratic-led states have filed a lawsuit against the Federal Emergency Management Agency over the cancellation of a disaster mitigation grant program. The federal lawsuit filed Wednesday in Massachusetts claims President Donald Trump’s administration acted illegally by ending the program in April. The Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities program funds projects such as flood protection, wildfire prevention and earthquake safety. FEMA called the program wasteful. But supporters say it can help save lives and reduce costly damage from disasters. The lawsuit alleges the Trump administration violated constitutional separation of powers by ending the program without congressional permission to do so.
Supreme Court limits nationwide injunctions, but fate of Trump birthright citizenship order unclear

Supreme Court limits nationwide injunctions, but fate of Trump birthright citizenship order unclear

Jun 27, 2025 | 2:13pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — A divided Supreme Court has ruled that individual judges lack the authority to grant nationwide injunctions, but the decision leaves unclear the fate of President Donald Trump’s restrictions on birthright citizenship. The outcome Friday was a victory for Trump, who has complained about individual judges throwing up obstacles to his agenda. But a conservative majority left open the possibility that the birthright citizenship changes could remain blocked nationwide. The Republican president’s order would deny citizenship to U.S.-born children of people who are in the country illegally. Trump says the court’s decision is “amazing” and a “monumental victory for the Constitution,” the separation of powers and the rule of law.
Trump national security adviser Waltz is out in a major staff shake-up after his Signal chat blunder

Trump national security adviser Waltz is out in a major staff shake-up after his Signal chat blunder

May 1, 2025 | 2:28pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — White House national security adviser Mike Waltz is leaving the Trump administration just weeks after it was revealed he added a journalist to a Signal chat being used to discuss military plans. That’s according to two people familiar with the matter. Thursday’s development marks the first major staff shake-up of President Donald Trump’s second term. Waltz came under scrutiny in March after revelations he added journalist Jeffrey Goldberg to a private text chain on the encrypted messaging app Signal, which was used to discuss planning for a March 15 military operation against Houthi militants in Yemen. Waltz served in the House representing Florida for three terms before his elevation to the White House.